- On May 19, 2017
You can prevent electrical mishaps in your home if you know beforehand what all can cause them in the first place. It is important to be aware of certain symptoms of your house that may make it essential for you to get urgent electrical repairs. Following are some common and very much existing electrical problems that we all have come across but choose to ignore most of the times:
Faulty Electrical Wiring
We all have some faulty cable splices or damaged or frayed wiring somewhere in our home. These can be a cause of extreme fires and often a sign of an amateur electrical job and they often go unnoticed.
Heating Of Sockets And Boards
High resistance which is the main cause of heated boards and sockets can be caused by a loose connection or corrosion. This high resistance causes heating, which if left unrepaired eventually melts the insulation on the wire.
Short circuits happen when excessive heat builds up in an electrical outlet. The insulation covering the wires can also melt and at times electricity running through exposed wires can cause a fire. An electrical connection in this situation can result in a serious spark.
Electrical Outlets Going Bad
Yes, your electrical outlets do go bad and for no reason at all. This is because their contacts become loose over time, and you may need to replace the entire unit. Mind it that all electrical work is potentially dangerous, so it’s recommended that you leave these repair jobs and maintenance chores to professional electricians only.
Is there a weird or disturbing smell in the air? If you have any new appliance installed it may produce an off smelling odour when you power it up for the first few times. This is in fact completely normal but if you detect something like that coming from an outlet, turn it off and unplug any appliance that is connected to it. Remember not to use it again until a qualified electrician checks it out.
Sparking is common too but it can be hardly ignored and this is a good thing in some ways at least. If you do observe some sparking from your fuse box or breaker panel or any electrical outlet, consider it a sign of an urgent electrical problem. Unless you call an experienced and qualified electrician in Singapore the potential for fire damage is very high. Same applies to warm outlets and switches. These may be the doing of bad wiring and amateur electrical repair job. Therefore if you notice that your light switches have become warm to the touch, or that you often see sparking in your outlets, it is a clear warning. It is time to call a professional for repair or upgrading to a new switch or outlet.
If your electrical outlets and switches make a buzzing sound, you are in trouble. They should be silent, always and if you do hear any buzzing or crackling or sizzling sound out of an outlet or switch or appliance turn the electricity off and call an electrician right away.